These rich Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are packed full of marshmallows, chocolate chips, cocoa powder and Cocoa Krispies. For extra flavor and texture, these chewy treats have sweetened condensed milk and chocolate malted milk powder mixed in.
Chocolate Rice Krispie squares are the perfect no-bake dessert for Easter, movie night, or any time you need to whip up a quick dessert. Completely customizable, you'll be reaching for square after square!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
No-bake - these chocolate Rice Krispie treats are made completely on the stovetop, with no bake time needed, and only take about 15 minutes to make!
Deep chocolate flavor - there are four ways chocolate is incorporated into these snacks (Cocoa Krispies, cocoa powder, chocolate malted milk powder, and chocolate chips), making them the ultimate chocolate treat.
Ultra chewy - while most Rice Krispie treats are already quite soft, this chocolate version are extra chewy thanks to the addition of sweetened condensed milk. Not only do they prevent the squares from drying out, but they also combine with the marshmallows to make the perfect chewy bite.
- Cocoa Krispies. This enhances the chocolate flavor, so I recommend these over standard Rice Krispies.
- Cocoa powder. Using dutch processed cocoa will provide the best depth of flavor. This can be found as Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder in most grocery stores.
- Chocolate malted milk powder. This ingredient both enhances the chocolate and also provides a sweet yet earthy malt flavor.
- Chocolate chips. Semi-sweet chocolate should be used.
- Butter. Salted butter should be used in this recipe.
- Sweetened condensed milk. This adds an incredible amount of chewiness to the chocolate Rice Krispie treats and helps them keep for longer.
- Mini marshmallows. Be sure they're fresh! Stale marshmallows won't melt correctly.
- Flaky sea salt. This gets sprinkled on top at the very and and helps to cut through the sweetness, and also enhance the chocolate flavor.
See recipe card for full ingredients list and quantities.
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treat Variations
- Roughly chop whoppers or (malted milk eggs for Easter) and stir them into the mixture before adding to the pan.
- Stir in up to 1 cup of M&Ms, chopped peanut butter cups, peanut butter chips, chopped Oreos, or crushed pretzels at the very end.
- Drizzle the chocolate Rice Krispie treats with white chocolate, caramel, or melted peanut butter.
- Use normal Rice Krispies if you can't find Cocoa Krispies.
- If not using chocolate malted milk powder, add an additional ¼ cup of cocoa powder.
How to Make This Recipe
One: Melt the butter and allow it to brown slightly until you see tan specs at the bottom. Stir occasionally.
Two: Add the cocoa powder, half of the malted milk powder, salt, and sweetened condensed milk and mix to combine.
Three: Add the first batch of marshmallows and stir.
Four: Cook until completely melted and stir until the mixture becomes smooth.
Hot tip! The butter will want to stay around the edges. Continue stirring, bringing the butter inwards, until everything completely mixes in and the entire mixture becomes smooth.
Five: Add the remaining marshmallows, chocolate chips, and remaining malted milk powder and stir.
Six: Immediately add the cocoa Krispies and mix to combine.
Hot tip! When mixing in the Cocoa Krispies, scoop the whole way to the bottom and bring the melted chocolate mixture upwards to coat the mixture.
Seven: Add the mixture to a pan and push and pull the mixture to meet the edges and corners. Don't mash it down.
Eight: Top generously with flaky sea salt then cover and allow it to set for one hour before slicing.
- Use dutch processed cocoa powder for the best depth of flavor.
- Use fresh marshmallows. Stale marshmallows don't melt properly.
- Try not to let the second addition of marshmallows or the chocolate chips melt the whole way before adding them to the pan.
- Line the pan with parchment paper (so it slightly hangs over at least two sides) for easy pan removal.
- Pull & push the mixture into the pan to get it into the sides and corners. don't press down, otherwise, they'll become too dense and you'll lose chewiness!
These treats will last for one week, tightly covered or wrapped at room temperature.
These can be made a few days in advance and stored tightly wrapped for freshness.
Yes, these can be left at room temperature for the entire storage process.
Store the chocolate Rice Krispie squares at room temperature, tightly covered, for up to one week.
Freeze tightly wrapped for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before enjoying.
Did you make this recipe? Share it with us! Tag @thecozyplum on Instagram & Facebook and leave a star rating ⭐️ below!
Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 ½ cups salted butter
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup chocolate malted milk powder divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 16 oz mini marshmallows divided
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 cups Cocoa Krispies
- Flaky sea salt for topping (optional)
- Grease and parchment line an 9x13 inch casserole dish and set aside. This helps with easy removal so you don’t have to cut them in the pan.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat stirring occasionally, and allow it to cook until some golden brown flecks begin to form (about 5 minutes).1 ½ cups salted butter
- Add the cocoa powder, half of the chocolate malted milk powder, kosher salt and sweetened condensed milk and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, and allow it to bubble for one minute, stirring.¼ cup cocoa powder, ½ cup chocolate malted milk powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- Add 10 oz of the mini marshmallow and stir until melted. Add the chocolate chips, remaining chocolate malted milk powder and stir, allow them to melt slightly. Remove from the heat.16 oz mini marshmallows, 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, 8 cups Cocoa Krispies
- Add the remaining marshmallows and toss to coat, then add the cocoa krispies and toss until completely coated.
- Transfer to the prepared dish and gently pull/push the mixture around the pan to meet the edges (don’t press down hard). Top with flaky sea salt.Flaky sea salt
- Cover and allow it to set up for one hour. Slice and serve.